Saturday, June 9, 2012

What are we making for dinner Mommy?

The classic quote I get every day.  "What are we making for dinner Mommy?" This question use to make my head spin, but now with my meals planned, I have an answer.

So after looking at what I have in the kitchen, here is next weeks menu....



Monday - Baked Ziti with ground beef and fresh steamed broccoli.

Remember that penne from last week for the lemon chicken, well now use it for this dish.
You can find  numerous recipes for this dish online and in books.

Below how I make my quick baked ziti:
  1. Brown ground beef  (I am using my half pound left over from last week)
  2. At the same time, boil your penne.
  3. After the meat is cooked, add chopped up garlic and onions, cook until onions are translucent. (you can also add some fresh veggies here, like zucchini or squash)
  4. At the same time, combine 1/4 cup of part-skim ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of mozzarella and 1 egg in a separate bowl.  
  5. Pour a jar of sauce into the meat mixture,
  6. Then add the cooked penne and cheese mixture into the same pan.
  7. I add some spices and fresh herbs; salt, pepper basil and rosemary.
  8. Transfer into a square baking dish, top with 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella, and cover with tin foil.
Bake this dish at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Tuesday - Pepper Chicken with quinoa (you can use an rice)

I usually make this with steak, but the chicken is on sale again this week, so why not!
  1. Marinate chicken in McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak Marinade, as directed on package. (I slice up my chicken before putting it into the marinade)
  2. Cut up 1 to 2 peppers into thin slices (I use red and green pepper) & 1/2 of an onion.
  3. In a pan, add a little bit of olive oil, fresh pressed garlic, the chopped up onion and peppers.  Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes (until the peppers are bright in color).
  4. At the same time, start cooking your rice per directions on the box. 
  5. After the peppers and onion are cooked, add the chicken and the marinade into the pan, cook until the chicken is fully cooked (approx. 15 minutes).  
  6. Add some parmesan cheese in the pan and you are DONE!
  7. Place rice on plate, top with the chicken mixture and marinade sauce.
Wednesday - Grilled bbq drum sticks, corn on the cob and broccoli

This one is easy.  Marinate your drum sticks the night before in your favorite sauce. 

Fire up the grill and place the drum sticks over the burners.  If you are intimidated by grilling, here is a great post I found: http://www.101cookingfortwo.com/2011/06/art-of-drummies-grilling-chicken.html

While the drumsticks are grilling, I would boil your water for the corn and get your broccoli ready to be steamed. ( I place my corn in the water while it is heating up)

When there is about 10 minutes left for the chicken, I would start steaming the broccoli.   After everything is cooked, place some extra bbq on the table for dipping and let's eat! 

Thursday- make your own omelet served with fresh berries and toast

I am going to use some left over peppers, onions, lunch meat, fresh herbs and feta! 

Friday 

This night I am going to keep open.  Either for left overs or grabbing something.  Freschetta Pizza is Buy 1 Get 1 Free! 

My grocery list (if you don't already have these items)

 
  • 1/2 lbs. of lean ground beef (as the meat department to cut a package in half) 
  • 2 chicken breast (Publix chicken is on sale for $2.99/lbs.)
  • 8 drum sticks
  • 1 bunch of broccoli
  • 1 package of tri-color peppers (on sale for $4)
  • 1 onions of your choice
  • 1 bulb of garlic
  • 3 fresh corn on the cob (1 per person) (on sale 6 for $2)
  • 1 pt. package of blueberries ($1.99 a package)
  • 1 package of fresh strawberries (2 for $5)
  • 1 block of mozzarella cheese (Publix brand is on sale 2 for $5)
  • 1 small container of part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1 container of feta (if you want it in your omelets)
  • Parmesan 
  • 1/2 carton of eggs
  • 1 jar of pasta sauce
  • 1 small bottle of bbq sauce
  • 1 package of whole wheat penne pasta (if you don't have any left over)
  • 1 small package of quinoa or rice of your choice
  • Bread (for lunches and breakfast night)
  • Olive oil
  • Red wine vinegar 
  • Fresh basil or rosemary 


I hope you enjoy, and please let me know your thoughts or suggestions.  Would love to hear from you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment